1. glower: to stare angrily or with a scowl
2. pugnacious: combative; quarrelsome
3. plethora: excess
4. capitulate: to surrender under agreed conditions
5. assuage: to soften; to ease, or lessen
SAT Questions of the Week must be in your notebook with the correct answer.
With the 1977 publication of Song of Solomon, Toni Morrison both received popular and critical acclaim.
- (A) both received popular and
- (B) both received popular and also
- (C) received popular, along with
- (D) received popular as well as
- (E) received both popular and also
- (A) reward . . review
- (B) impede . . ignore
- (C) recognize . . deride
- (D) expose . . study
- (E) embrace . . promote
The senator chose to incur dislike rather than ------- her principles to win favor with the public.
(A) gratify (B) endorse (C) accuse (D) compromise (E) advertise
1. Review syllabus.
2. Read and discuss the connection between "Introduction to Channel Orange" by Frank Ocean and "London Prepares For Poetry Bombing" https://docs.google.com/document/d/19VCNoWfu4s7Li9E8WKr_cdCrKcNJNYhWvfUMFYSTKAI/edit
3. Write a 1-page essay introducing yourself, your interests, your aspirations, and your connection to the theme expressed in the Ocean and Poetry Bombing pieces. In other words, how will you one day use literature to heal others or express something unexpected. Essay due on Tuesday, August 14 and is graded on "Meets Deadlines".
4. Write an essay that disagrees with this article that lambasts (and motivates) teenagers. Your essay will be graded on having a hook, background, and thesis in the introduction, and having body paragraphs that directly attack the article.
5. As a group, read and score sample Georgia High School Writing Test essays based on ideas, organization, style, and grammar.
6. Edit and score your 2 essays based on ideas, organization, style, and grammar.