1. Analyze a particular cultural experience reflected in a work from outside the United States.
2. When discussing the book, refer to its evidence; pose and respond to questions that relate the discussion to broader themes; incorporate peers into the discussion; clarify, verify, or challenge ideas; and justify personal views.
3. Interpret figures of speech/figurative language and analyze their role in the text.
Reading Schedule for A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini:
Due Oct 6: chapters 1-6
Due Oct 7: chapters 7-12
Due Oct 8: chapters 13-17
Due Oct 9: chapters 18-23
Due Oct 10: chapters 24-29
NO SCHOOL ON OCTOBER 13
Due Oct 14: chapters 30-40
Due Oct 15: chapters 41-44
Due Oct 16: chapters 45-48
Due Oct 17: finish the book
1. Take Cornell notes on the history & culture of Afghanistan to better understand the book.
3. Blog your opinion and analysis of the book so far as it relates to one of the following topics.
- the effect of the milieu on the characters and plot
- the power of religion in the book
- a major character such as Mariam, Jalil, or Rasheed
4. Check to see if anyone commented on your post. If so, reply to him/her.
5. Work on your Goodreads project (either at home or on Ms. Miller-Payton's iPad).
6. Practice vocabulary on our Quizlet games.
7. In August, we discussed "the danger of the single story," meaning that people should explore multiple perspectives of a culture. Some would argue that reading A Thousand Splendid Suns might contribute to the dismal stereotypes that Americans have about Afghanistan and Islam. Using your expert research skills, find an article or video that refutes the "single story" about Afghanistan or Islam (such as the "My Afghanistan" film or the Kabul film). Consider using the "translate this page" feature and searching .af sites, tourism sites (e.g. LonelyPlanet or TripAdvisor), art, music, dance, fashion, sports, food, middle-class, schools, "proud", "love", etc. Post a summary, analysis, opinion, and hyperlinked citation of the source on your blog by Monday, October 20, 8:15 a.m. Categorize the entry as A Thousand Splendid Suns and add a relevant photo and creative title.