Adapt speech to a variety of contexts and tasks, demonstrating command of formal English when indicated or appropriate.
- View CBS's overview of the Poetry Out Loud contest. Then, choose a poem to recite from the website and hand-write it.
- Listen to Shawntay Henry's winning recitation of Robert Hayden's "Frederick Douglass" and on your notes page, write adjectives that describe her tone.
- Play with tone by stating the word "those" in various scenarios.
- On your poem, mark the various tones and difficult vocabulary.
- Due Thursday: Re-write your poem, but this time only write the 1st letter of each word.
- Due Thursday: Peruse several sources of information about your poet, then on your notes page, briefly describe the poet's background that would help us understand the poem.
- Thursday options: Sketch lines of your poem, record yourself performing, analyze the poem, and/or practice reciting with a partner.
- Study poetry performances such as "To This Day" by Shane Koyczan
- Perform poem on January 13. You'll be graded on memorization, physical presence, voice/articulation, dramatization, complexity, evidence of understanding, and overall performance.